umu.sePublications
Change search
CiteExportLink to record
Permanent link

Direct link
Cite
Citation style
  • apa
  • ieee
  • modern-language-association-8th-edition
  • vancouver
  • Other style
More styles
Language
  • de-DE
  • en-GB
  • en-US
  • fi-FI
  • nn-NO
  • nn-NB
  • sv-SE
  • Other locale
More languages
Output format
  • html
  • text
  • asciidoc
  • rtf
Open-Angle Glaucoma: Drug Development Pipeline during the Last 20 Years (1995-2015)
Umeå University, Faculty of Medicine, Department of Clinical Sciences, Ophthalmology. Visual Sciences Study Center, Faculty of Medicine, Lisbon University.
Show others and affiliations
2017 (English)In: Ophthalmic Research, ISSN 0030-3747, E-ISSN 1423-0259, Vol. 57, no 4, 201-207 p.Article, review/survey (Refereed) Published
Abstract [en]

OBJECTIVES: To analyse drug development for open-angle glaucoma during the last 20 years.

METHODS: Research was performed by referring to clinical trials registered at the International Clinical Trials Registry Platform (ICTRP). A search for the condition "open-angle glaucoma" with the intervention "drug" was performed. We included trials registered from 01/01/1995 to 01/01/2015, only involving studies in phases 1, 2, and 3. Only studies resorting to novel treatment strategies (either novel drugs or yet-untested fixed associations of approved medication) were considered.

RESULTS: We recorded 158 studies for the condition of open-angle glaucoma with a drug-based intervention; 65 of the studies reported phase 2 trials and 74 reported phase 3 trials. Pharmaceutical companies were the primary sponsors of 95.3% of the trials. Most of the studies (66.5%, n = 105) involved a new drug, and the remainder (33.5%, n = 53) tested fixed drug associations. The bulk of the trials (n = 99, 62.7%) involved the use of prostaglandin analogues, either as a comparator or a study drug. In descending order of frequency, the studies conducted involved Rho-kinase inhibitors (n = 15), carbonic anhydrase inhibitors (n = 14), β-blockers (n = 7), angiostatic steroids (n = 6), α2-adrenergic agonists (n = 4), 5-HT2A receptor agonists (n = 4), and NMDA receptor antagonists (n = 2). A cyclin-dependent kinase inhibitor, an LIM-domain kinase 2 inhibitor, an A1 adenosine receptor agonist, catechin, macrolide, saffron, and seawater were each tested in 1 clinical trial.

CONCLUSION: Research into the medical treatment of glaucoma indicates the use of prostaglandin analogues. However, there are a significant number of trials testing other drug classes, particularly Rho-kinase inhibitors. This new focus could lead to a potential increase in the number of therapeutical options for the management of glaucoma in the future.

Place, publisher, year, edition, pages
2017. Vol. 57, no 4, 201-207 p.
National Category
Pharmacology and Toxicology
Identifiers
URN: urn:nbn:se:umu:diva-131828DOI: 10.1159/000453527ISI: 000399908800001PubMedID: 28076854OAI: oai:DiVA.org:umu-131828DiVA: diva2:1076322
Available from: 2017-02-22 Created: 2017-02-22 Last updated: 2017-05-29Bibliographically approved

Open Access in DiVA

No full text

Other links

Publisher's full textPubMed

Search in DiVA

By author/editor
Vicente, André
By organisation
Ophthalmology
In the same journal
Ophthalmic Research
Pharmacology and Toxicology

Search outside of DiVA

GoogleGoogle Scholar

doi
pubmed
urn-nbn

Altmetric score

doi
pubmed
urn-nbn
Total: 32 hits
CiteExportLink to record
Permanent link

Direct link
Cite
Citation style
  • apa
  • ieee
  • modern-language-association-8th-edition
  • vancouver
  • Other style
More styles
Language
  • de-DE
  • en-GB
  • en-US
  • fi-FI
  • nn-NO
  • nn-NB
  • sv-SE
  • Other locale
More languages
Output format
  • html
  • text
  • asciidoc
  • rtf