umu.sePublications
Change search
CiteExportLink to record
Permanent link

Direct link
Cite
Citation style
  • apa
  • harvard1
  • ieee
  • modern-language-association-8th-edition
  • vancouver
  • Other style
More styles
Language
  • de-DE
  • en-GB
  • en-US
  • fi-FI
  • nn-NO
  • nn-NB
  • sv-SE
  • Other locale
More languages
Output format
  • html
  • text
  • asciidoc
  • rtf
New insights on resource stoichiometry: assessing availability of carbon, nitrogen, and phosphorus to bacterioplankton
Umeå University, Faculty of Science and Technology, Department of Ecology and Environmental Sciences. (Arcum)
Umeå University, Faculty of Science and Technology, Department of Ecology and Environmental Sciences.
Show others and affiliations
2017 (English)In: Biogeosciences, ISSN 1726-4170, E-ISSN 1726-4189, Vol. 14, no 6, 1527-1539 p.Article in journal (Refereed) Published
Abstract [en]

Boreal lake and river ecosystems receive large quantities of organic nutrients and carbon (C) from their catchments. How bacterioplankton respond to these inputs is not well understood, in part because we base our understanding and predictions on "total pools", yet we know little about the stoichiometry of bioavailable elements within organic matter. We designed bioassays with the purpose of exhausting the pools of readily bioavailable dissolved organic carbon (BDOC), bioavailable dissolved nitrogen (BDN), and bioavailable dissolved phosphorus (BDP) as fast as possible. Applying the method in four boreal lakes at base-flow conditions yielded concentrations of bioavailable resources in the range 105-693 mu g CL-1 for BDOC (2% of initial total DOC), 24-288 mu g NL-1 for BDN (31% of initial total dissolved nitrogen), and 0.2-17 mu g PL-1 for BDP (49% of initial total dissolved phosphorus). Thus, relative bioavailability increased from carbon (C) to nitrogen (N) to phosphorus (P). We show that the main fraction of bioavailable nutrients is organic, representing 80% of BDN and 61% of BDP. In addition, we demonstrate that total C : N and C: P ratios are as much as 13-fold higher than C : N and C: P ratios for bioavailable resource fractions. Further, by applying additional bioavailability measurements to seven widely distributed rivers, we provide support for a general pattern of relatively high bioavailability of P and N in relation to C. Altogether, our findings underscore the poor availability of C for support of bacterial metabolism in boreal C-rich fresh-waters, and suggest that these ecosystems are very sensitive to increased input of bioavailable DOC.

Place, publisher, year, edition, pages
2017. Vol. 14, no 6, 1527-1539 p.
National Category
Ecology
Identifiers
URN: urn:nbn:se:umu:diva-133745DOI: 10.5194/bg-14-1527-2017ISI: 000398193100004OAI: oai:DiVA.org:umu-133745DiVA: diva2:1094198
Available from: 2017-05-09 Created: 2017-05-09 Last updated: 2017-05-09Bibliographically approved

Open Access in DiVA

fulltext(1112 kB)28 downloads
File information
File name FULLTEXT01.pdfFile size 1112 kBChecksum SHA-512
e9b2372384dcc3150492aa93c0786d6d18196923c1b9548580ab5a8e605a923a6b5978bdb2c069f1a48f145e64963bbe0b1344d5896d27df33d3bc5c046847d8
Type fulltextMimetype application/pdf

Other links

Publisher's full text

Search in DiVA

By author/editor
Bergström, Ann-KristinSponseller, Ryan A.Giesler, ReinerJansson, Mats
By organisation
Department of Ecology and Environmental Sciences
In the same journal
Biogeosciences
Ecology

Search outside of DiVA

GoogleGoogle Scholar
Total: 28 downloads
The number of downloads is the sum of all downloads of full texts. It may include eg previous versions that are now no longer available

Altmetric score

Total: 170 hits
CiteExportLink to record
Permanent link

Direct link
Cite
Citation style
  • apa
  • harvard1
  • ieee
  • modern-language-association-8th-edition
  • vancouver
  • Other style
More styles
Language
  • de-DE
  • en-GB
  • en-US
  • fi-FI
  • nn-NO
  • nn-NB
  • sv-SE
  • Other locale
More languages
Output format
  • html
  • text
  • asciidoc
  • rtf