AlgExt: an Algorithm Extractor for C Programs
2001 (English)Report (Other academic)
ALGEXT is a program that extracts strategic/block comments from C source files to improve maintainability and to keep documentation consistent with source code. This is done by writing the comments in the source code in what we call extractable algorithms, describing the algorithm used in the functions.
ALGEXT recognizes different kinds of comments:
- Strategic comments are comments that proceed a block of code, with only whitespace preceding it on the line,
- Tactical comments are comments that describes the code that precedes it on the same line,
- Function comments are comments immediately preceding a function definition, describing the function,
- File comments are comments at the head of the file, before any declarations of functions and variables, and finally
- Global comments are comments within the global scope, but not associated with a function.
Only strategic comment are used as basis for algorithm extraction in ALGEXT.
The paper discusses the rationale for ALGEXT and describes its implementation and usage. Examples are presented for clarification of what can be done with ALGEXT.
Our experience shows that students who use ALGEXT for preparing theirassignments tend to write about 66% more comments than non-ALGEXT users.
Place, publisher, year, edition, pages
Umeå: Department of Computing Science, Umeå University , 2001. , 15 p.
Report / UMINF, ISSN 0348-0542 ; 2001:11
Extractable algorithms, Embedded information, C
Research subject Computing Science
IdentifiersURN: urn:nbn:se:umu:diva-22350OAI: oai:DiVA.org:umu-22350DiVA: diva2:214630
Distributor:Institutionen för datavetenskap, 90187, Umeå