umu.sePublications
Change search
CiteExportLink to record
Permanent link

Direct link
Cite
Citation style
  • apa
  • ieee
  • modern-language-association-8th-edition
  • vancouver
  • Other style
More styles
Language
  • de-DE
  • en-GB
  • en-US
  • fi-FI
  • nn-NO
  • nn-NB
  • sv-SE
  • Other locale
More languages
Output format
  • html
  • text
  • asciidoc
  • rtf
Hållande av älghund i Västerbotten
Umeå University, Faculty of Science and Technology, Ecology and Environmental Science.
2009 (Swedish)Independent thesis Advanced level (degree of Master (One Year)), 20 credits / 30 HE creditsStudent thesis
Abstract [en]

Hunting with elkhounds is very common in Sweden and especially in Västerbotten which is home to about 2800 purebred elkhounds from nine different breeds. Many people have preconceived notions about how elkhounds are kept, that is, that they are kept outside without social contact. How common is the use of kennels? Have kennels and dog houses been constructed according to the set standards? This report is composed of a literature study and a survey, mainly concerning how kennels and dog houses are constructed, with a focus on owners of elkhounds in Västerbotten. 204 out of 300 owners contacted responded to the survey. It showed that 93 % of the elkhounds owners in Västerbotten use kennels. A total of 23 % keep their dog in a kennel on a permanent basis and most of the remaining 77 % use a kennel while at work or only during the daytime. Many kennels meet the legal standards, but not all elkhound owners have comprehended what is required when using one. For this reason an information leaflet that states what the legal requirements are would be useful both to dog owners and the legal authorities. The conclusions are that the use of kennels are as common as many people think, but not so much on a permanent basis. Nowadays the owners of elkhounds also consider their dog to be a family dog as well as a hunting dog. This often means that they spend time indoors together with humans and are able to get the social relations they require.

Place, publisher, year, edition, pages
2009. , 41 p.
Keyword [en]
elkhound, kennel, hunting
National Category
Natural Sciences
Identifiers
URN: urn:nbn:se:umu:diva-31226OAI: oai:DiVA.org:umu-31226DiVA: diva2:291870
Presentation
(English)
Uppsok

Supervisors
Available from: 2010-02-03 Created: 2010-02-03 Last updated: 2010-02-03Bibliographically approved

Open Access in DiVA

No full text

By organisation
Ecology and Environmental Science
Natural Sciences

Search outside of DiVA

GoogleGoogle Scholar

urn-nbn

Altmetric score

urn-nbn
Total: 48 hits
CiteExportLink to record
Permanent link

Direct link
Cite
Citation style
  • apa
  • ieee
  • modern-language-association-8th-edition
  • vancouver
  • Other style
More styles
Language
  • de-DE
  • en-GB
  • en-US
  • fi-FI
  • nn-NO
  • nn-NB
  • sv-SE
  • Other locale
More languages
Output format
  • html
  • text
  • asciidoc
  • rtf