Quantifying CO2 emissions from lakes and ponds in a large subarctic catchment
Independent thesis Advanced level (degree of Master (Two Years)), 40 credits / 60 HE creditsStudent thesis
Quantifying carbon emissions of water bodies at regional scale is required as recent studies revealed their contribution in carbon cycling is significant. This demands to scale up water bodies carbon emissions from local to regional scale using as accurate approach as possible. In this study data of carbon (CO2-C) fluxes for 80 sampled lakes were used to scale up to more than 3000 lakes and ponds over the catchment. The most appropriate method for upscaling was the one in which two factors of water body size and location (altitude) were involved and the uncertainties were quantified in an advanced approach (Monte Carlo model). Based on the estimates obtained in this method, the annual carbon emission from all water bodies (~ 500 km2) was about 2900 ton C yr-1 . About 62% of this annual emission was related to the large lake Torneträsk (334 km2) and another 38% to all other lakes and ponds (166 km2). Water bodies in subalpine region dominated (90%) total water bodies area and were the major contributor (97%) to the total carbon emissions of all water bodies. The remaining small contribution (3%) was for water bodies in the alpine region, which contains only 10% of total water bodies area. These data indicate that all water bodies smaller than the large lake Torneträsk especially the ones in the subalpine region have considerable contribution to the annual carbon emission of all water bodies. Considering water body size and altitude factors in the advanced upscaling method was appropriate to obtain accurate estimates.
Place, publisher, year, edition, pages
2013. , 37 p.
Subarctic catchment, CO2 emission, Upscaling method, Lakes and ponds, Alpine and subalpine regions
Earth and Related Environmental Sciences
IdentifiersURN: urn:nbn:se:umu:diva-82963OAI: oai:DiVA.org:umu-82963DiVA: diva2:664240
2013-11-05, 13:00 (English)
Karlsson, Jan, Professor
Zale, Rolf, Senior lecturer