Change search
ReferencesLink to record
Permanent link

Direct link
On functions, abilities and quality of life after subarachnoid haemorrhage: occupational therapy aspects
Umeå University, Faculty of Medicine, Department of Pharmacology and Clinical Neuroscience, Neurosurgery. Umeå University, Faculty of Medicine, Department of Community Medicine and Rehabilitation, Rehabilitation Medicine.
1995 (English)Doctoral thesis, comprehensive summary (Other academic)
Abstract [en]

This investigation addresses functions/impairments, abilities/disabilities and quality of life (QoL) in a consecutive series of non-hospitalised long-term survivors (2,5-12 years) of subarachnoid heamorrhage (SAH). The investigated parameters of functions/impairments were: motor, language, perceptual and memory functions. Abilities/disabilities studied were: activities of daily living (ADL) including both personal- and instrumental ADL, working and leisure capacities. Quality of life was assessed using a double visual analogue scale. Occurrence of depression was registered using a self-rating scale.

A questionnaire focusing motor and language impairments, personal ADL, work and leisure activities was initially mailed to 324 subjects. The vast majority answered the questionnaire. Ten hospitalised subjects could not validly report their functions and abilities and were by that reason excluded.

In a follow-up investigation up to 247 long-term non-hospitalised subjects were investigated by a physician and an occupational therapist. A total of 82% had at least one impairment. The majority (73%) had memory impairment and among these subjects equal proportions (about 50%) had impairments of long- and short-term memory. Forty-five percent were perceptually impaired, while motor impairment occurred for 25% and aphasia in 10%. Only a small minority (9%) were, according to self-reports, regarded as being to some extent disabled in personal ADL. The corresponding numbers of disabled in instrumental ADL, leisure and working- capacity were 52%, 48% and 40%. Depression was found in 22% - among whom the majority had minimal or mild depression. Overall QoL was judged to be unchanged or increased in 62% and, therefore, decreased in 38%.

As expected impairments to a significant degree caused disabilities. None of the 5 different categories of impairments were associated with mood (depressed/not depressed) and QoL (decreased/not decreased). Occurrence of depression was significantly associated with different aspects of disabilities. In contrast among a series of instrumental ADL-variables, leisure and working capacity, QoL was influenced negatively only by decreased ability to act sociably and, to a minor extent, by depressed mood.

Judging from the extent of decreased quality of life, it appears that nearly 40% of all non-hospitalised former victims of SAH have not coped successfully with the impact of the SAH. A follow-up program aiming at optimising the coping process of SAH-victims is, therefore, outlined.

Place, publisher, year, edition, pages
Umeå: Umeå universitet , 1995. , 58 p.
Umeå University medical dissertations, ISSN 0346-6612 ; N.S. 450
Keyword [en]
Subarachnoid heamorrhage, impairment, disability, activities of daily living, work, leisure, depression, quality of life, rehabilitation, occupational therapy
National Category
Occupational Therapy
URN: urn:nbn:se:umu:diva-111112ISBN: 91-7191-113-8OAI: diva2:868154
Public defence
1995-12-15, Humanisthuset, Hörsal G, Umeå universitet, Umeå, 13:00

S. 1-58: sammanfattning, s. 59-128: 5 uppsatser

Available from: 2015-11-11 Created: 2015-11-05 Last updated: 2015-11-11Bibliographically approved

Open Access in DiVA

On Functions, Abilities and Quality of Life after Subarachnoid Haemorrhage(3412 kB)100 downloads
File information
File name FULLTEXT01.pdfFile size 3412 kBChecksum SHA-512
Type fulltextMimetype application/pdf

Search in DiVA

By author/editor
Lindberg, Margareta
By organisation
NeurosurgeryRehabilitation Medicine
Occupational Therapy

Search outside of DiVA

GoogleGoogle Scholar
Total: 100 downloads
The number of downloads is the sum of all downloads of full texts. It may include eg previous versions that are now no longer available

Total: 71 hits
ReferencesLink to record
Permanent link

Direct link