umu.sePublications
Change search
ReferencesLink to record
Permanent link

Direct link
BabA Protein Expression and Lewis b Binding is Gene Locus-Dependent
Teheran, Iran.
Umeå University, Faculty of Medicine, Department of Medical Biosciences.
Teheran, Iran.
Teheran, Iran.
Show others and affiliations
2015 (English)In: Helicobacter, ISSN 1083-4389, E-ISSN 1523-5378, Vol. 20, no Suppl. 1, 111-111 p., Abstract no.: P05.06Article in journal, Meeting abstract (Other academic) Published
Abstract [en]

Background: Helicobacter pylori (Hp) adhesion, BabA, is localized on the bacterial cell surface, binds to the fucosylated Lewis b histo-blood group antigen on gastric epithelial cells and is responsible for bacterial colonization in the gastric milieu. The diverse roles of this bacterial adhesion in Hp-induced pathogenesis remain understudied.

Methods: We have isolated single colonies of Hp from 156 (NUD=97, DU=34, GC=25) patients. babA and babB genes were evaluated by gene/locus-specific PCR. BabA protein expression and Lewis b (Leb) binding capacity were determined by immunoblotting and ELISA, respectively.

Results: Leb binding assay identified 36% of the strains as high binders and the remaining 64% with low binding capacity. All (100%) of the strains in the former group expressed BabA protein at high levels (BabA-H). Of the latter group, 40% were BabA low producers (BabA-L) and the remaining 60% produced no detectable BabA protein (BabA-Neg). The majority (73/88, 83%) of the strains expressing BabA protein were babA gene-positive at locus A versus. those at locus B (15/88, 17%, P = 0.034). The same holds true for Lewis b binding. In other words, the former group constitutes larger numbers (44/50, 88%) of Leb high-binders relative to the latter group (6/50, 12%, P = 0.035). Furthermore, amongst the former group, co-presence of babA and babB genes in locus A reduced the probability of Leb binding (P = 0.0001).

Conclusion: Presence of babA gene in locus A is associated with higher BabA protein expression and Lewis b binding. Therefore, gene/locus-specific PCR seems better suited for the assessment of functional BabA protein.

Place, publisher, year, edition, pages
John Wiley & Sons, 2015. Vol. 20, no Suppl. 1, 111-111 p., Abstract no.: P05.06
National Category
Biochemistry and Molecular Biology Biophysics
Identifiers
URN: urn:nbn:se:umu:diva-111506ISI: 000363064400149OAI: oai:DiVA.org:umu-111506DiVA: diva2:881416
Conference
European-Helicobacter-Study-Group 28th International Workshop on Helicobacter and Microbiota in Inflammation and Cancer, SEP 24-26, 2015, Nicosia, CYPRUS
Available from: 2015-12-10 Created: 2015-11-13 Last updated: 2015-12-10Bibliographically approved

Open Access in DiVA

No full text

Search in DiVA

By author/editor
Schmidt, AlexejBoren, Thomas
By organisation
Department of Medical BiosciencesDepartment of Medical Biochemistry and Biophysics
In the same journal
Helicobacter
Biochemistry and Molecular BiologyBiophysics

Search outside of DiVA

GoogleGoogle Scholar
The number of downloads is the sum of all downloads of full texts. It may include eg previous versions that are now no longer available

Total: 57 hits
ReferencesLink to record
Permanent link

Direct link