umu.sePublications
Change search
ReferencesLink to record
Permanent link

Direct link
Effect of Pilocarpine on impaired salivary secretion in patients with Sjogren's Syndrome
Umeå University, Faculty of Medicine, Department of Odontology.
2008 (English)In: Swedish Dental Journal, ISSN 0347-9994, Vol. 32, no 2, 49-56 p.Article in journal (Refereed) PublishedText
Abstract [en]

The aim of this study was to analyze resting whole saliva (RWS) and stimulated whole saliva (SWS) flow rates before and after administration of Pilocarpine in secondary Sjogren's Syndrome patients. Fifty-one patients (49 women, 2 men, ;mean age 61 years, range 38-85), all with a resting saliva <= 0.1ml/min, participated. Volumes of RWS and SWS collected over periods of 15 and 5 min, respectively, using standardized protocols were measured and the same procedure was repeated after oral administration of Pilocarpine (0.7 mg per 10 kg body weight). The sample was then divided into two groups, according to those in whom Pilocarpine stimulation had caused RWS flow to reach >0.1 ml/min (responders) and those who remained at values <= 0.1 ml/min (non-responders). All participants completed a questionnaire related to general and oral health status, as well as their subjective intraoral complaints before and after administration of Pilocarpine. Thirteen patients (25%) were classified as non-responders and the remaining 38 (75%) as responders. No statistically significant differences between the non-responders and responders were detected as regards general health parameters or intake of medicines with anticholinergic affect. As regards intraoral subjective complaints, no difference between the groups was found before Pilocarpine administration. After administration of Pilocarpine, complaints were significantly fewer among the responders (p<0.01). Both groups exhibited a significant decrease of intraoral symptoms after administration of Pilocarpine (responders P<0.001 and non-responders P<0.05) compared to baseline. For the whole group, more severe intraoral complaints were significantly associated with a lower SWS (P<0.05), but not a RWS, rate at baseline. It is concluded that a subgroup of Sjogren patients do not respond to Pilocarpine stimulation. The clinical implications of this finding need further investigation.

Place, publisher, year, edition, pages
Stockholm: Swedish dental journal , 2008. Vol. 32, no 2, 49-56 p.
Keyword [en]
Pilocarpine, salivation, Sjogren's syndrome
National Category
Dentistry
Identifiers
URN: urn:nbn:se:umu:diva-117535ISI: 000257864900001PubMedID: 18700333OAI: oai:DiVA.org:umu-117535DiVA: diva2:907950
Available from: 2016-03-01 Created: 2016-03-01 Last updated: 2016-03-01Bibliographically approved

Open Access in DiVA

No full text

PubMed

Search in DiVA

By author/editor
Bergenholtz, Axel
By organisation
Department of Odontology
In the same journal
Swedish Dental Journal
Dentistry

Search outside of DiVA

GoogleGoogle Scholar
The number of downloads is the sum of all downloads of full texts. It may include eg previous versions that are now no longer available

Altmetric score

Total: 14 hits
ReferencesLink to record
Permanent link

Direct link