umu.sePublications
Change search
CiteExportLink to record
Permanent link

Direct link
Cite
Citation style
  • apa
  • ieee
  • modern-language-association-8th-edition
  • vancouver
  • Other style
More styles
Language
  • de-DE
  • en-GB
  • en-US
  • fi-FI
  • nn-NO
  • nn-NB
  • sv-SE
  • Other locale
More languages
Output format
  • html
  • text
  • asciidoc
  • rtf
Drosophila hemopoiesis and cellular immunity
Umeå University, Faculty of Science and Technology, Umeå Centre for Molecular Pathogenesis (UCMP).
2007 (English)In: Journal of Immunology, ISSN 0022-1767, E-ISSN 1550-6606, Vol. 178, no 8, 4711-4716 p.Article, review/survey (Refereed) Published
Resource type
Text
Abstract [en]

In Drosophila melanogaster larvae, three classes of circulating cellular immune surveillance cells (hemocytes) can be identified: plasmatocytes, crystal cells, and lamellocytes. Plasmatocytes are profiessional phagocytes most similar to the mammalian monocyte/macrophage lineage and make up similar to 95% of circulating hemocytes. The other similar to 5% of circulating hemocytes consists of crystal cells, which secrete components necessary for the melanization of invading organisms, as well as for wound repair. A third cell type known as lamellocytes are rarely seen in healthy larvae and are involved in the encapsulation of invading pathogens. There are no obvious mammalian counterparts for crystal cells or lamellocytes, and there is no equivalent to the lymphoid lineage in insects. In this review, I will discuss what is currently known about Drosophila hemopoiesis and the cellular immune response and where possible compare it to vertebrate mechanisms.

Place, publisher, year, edition, pages
Bethesda: American association of immunologists , 2007. Vol. 178, no 8, 4711-4716 p.
Keyword [en]
larval hematopoiesis, Anopheles Gambiae, genetic analysis, growth-factor, Runx factors, blood-cells, receptor, phagocytosis, migration, identification
National Category
Immunology
Identifiers
URN: urn:nbn:se:umu:diva-118209DOI: 10.4049/​jimmunol.178.8.4711ISI: 000245605300008PubMedID: 17404248OAI: oai:DiVA.org:umu-118209DiVA: diva2:918720
Available from: 2016-04-11 Created: 2016-03-14 Last updated: 2016-04-11Bibliographically approved

Open Access in DiVA

No full text

Other links

Publisher's full textPubMed

Search in DiVA

By author/editor
Williams, Michael J
By organisation
Umeå Centre for Molecular Pathogenesis (UCMP)
In the same journal
Journal of Immunology
Immunology

Search outside of DiVA

GoogleGoogle Scholar

Altmetric score

Total: 17 hits
CiteExportLink to record
Permanent link

Direct link
Cite
Citation style
  • apa
  • ieee
  • modern-language-association-8th-edition
  • vancouver
  • Other style
More styles
Language
  • de-DE
  • en-GB
  • en-US
  • fi-FI
  • nn-NO
  • nn-NB
  • sv-SE
  • Other locale
More languages
Output format
  • html
  • text
  • asciidoc
  • rtf